Hi there, thanks for taking the time to check out our job spec. I’m Mikey, the Product Design Lead at Phorest. Phorest Salon Software powers over 4,500 hair and beauty salons globally. Our aim is to capture 25% of the market globally – that’s one million salons and a billion dollar company.
Why do we need a product designer?
Phorest’s design and development teams are growing rapidly along with our customer base which is growing at 40% year on year. We are looking to add a third designer to our product design team. While Phorest has been around for over 14 years our design team is young (less than a year old) and full of ideas! We are looking to add a designer to the team to help with our current challenges:
- Keeping up with growth
Phorest’s engineering teams are divided into 4 tribes. Each has a specific focus of development with 2 – 4 engineers and a PM. It is our goal to add a designer to each team to ensure we are creating unified experiences for our clients.
- Re-defining an entire product
We’re completely rebuilding a 14-year-old product. While Phorest is a great solution that our clients love, it’s not very intuitive and requires a lot of hand-holding to setup and troubleshoot for clients. We want to move Phorest into a modern, browser-based SaaS solution. This is one of our biggest challenges and it involves a lot of talking to customers, defining new patterns and interactions along with a completely new visual language and style-guide to ensure our development team is in-sync with the design team.
- Creating new mobile experiences with new technology
We have mobile applications for salon owners and employees along with applications for salons themselves to allow their clients to book online. These mobile apps have been around for a while. Phorest has added 2 (awesome) mobile engineers to the team in the last 6 months and our focus for 2019 will be to introduce a completely new mobile experience for salons and their clients.
- Promoting design throughout Phorest
In my experience, Phorest is a unique place to work. People have the freedom and autonomy here to do their best work. We encourage people to take good ideas and run with them. As a design team, I want us to encourage and support this innovation while also promoting design thinking, helping other teams to achieve their goals with the aid of the design team here at Phorest.
- Scaling the design organisation
As I said the team is young, we’re putting in new processes on a daily basis and working with engineering to establish the best way to deliver value to our clients and other teams. Each person on the team has a voice to help shape this process, to help shape the way we work on a daily basis and implement new ways of working together to ensure we create the best solutions for our clients.
What are we looking for in you?
- You have worked in a product engineering environment before. Working closely with the engineering team to ensure that what we’re shipping is meeting our customer needs. Taking to customers, testing prototypes, iterating on designs and all that good stuff. We’re not building websites here, we’re building solutions that people use every minute to run their business.
- You’re comfortable designing new features from the initial discovery phase right through to shipping, while shaping a new interaction and visual design system, to be applied to both new and existing features.
- You like to challenge all assumptions. While Phorest has a wealth of industry experience to tap into, with fresh eyes you will still strive to validate ideas with our customers, many of which are right on our doorstep, or accessible through our very active UserVoice community.
- You want to be a voice within the company championing design, and how it can benefit every area of the business.
- Through prototyping, you want to have a real impact on determining the product roadmap via testing ideas and assumptions.
What skills you need to work with the team
- At least 3 years experience in a product, or similar, design role
- Comfortable presenting your work and communicating your design solution, to internal and external stakeholders – fluent English essential. The ability to work closely with Product Managers and Developers to get to the heart of the problems we’re trying to tackle.
- A strong understanding of information architecture, user experience, interaction and visual design for both web and mobile.
- A well-defined visual design taste and a strong eye for detail that is evident in previous work you have completed.
- Experience designing for multiple platforms and screen sizes, using Sketch paired with InVision or, whatever software you are comfortable with.
- A good grasp of web technologies and their abilities – you don’t need to code, unless you’re into that sort of thing – but understanding the limitations is key.
- Experience with motion or illustration is not required, but would be beneficial.
What we can give you
As standard, we will get you the equipment you need to do great work. We have regular team outings and we push everyone to continue their learning through attending industry conferences and presenting at various events. Alongside this, you will have the opportunity to:
- Experience life at one of Ireland’s fastest-growing tech companies
- Spend your day with other smart and ambitious people
- Have the autonomy to try new things, fail and succeed but ultimately learn a lot!
- Be part of an entrepreneurial working environment. If you can make a case for a project that fits with our vision, you’ll likely be able to execute it
- Have the ability to enable hair and beauty salon owners worldwide to grow their business by getting their clients back more often, spending more and generating referrals
For this position, flexi-time and working from home is possible – get in touch to ask for more information or to chat about your future with Phorest!
To apply, please send us a quick note with why you’re interested in joining, your CV, and some work samples or links with “Product Designer” in the subject line to Mikey at mikey.cannon(at)phorest.com