About Phorest Salon Software
Phorest Salon Software powers over 3,700 hair and beauty salons globally. Our aim is to capture 25% of the market globally – that’s one million salons and a billion dollar company.
We take design very seriously and are investing to double the size of our design team, from one to two. If you want to design software that customers love, we want to speak to you. We’re a small product team, so you will have full autonomy, ownership, and control over everything you design.
Our current challenges
- Moving our core product from Java-based Swing to Web (we’ll be using Ember), while ensuring we continue to improve existing features and release new ones too.
- Creating a usable, validated, and scalable design system to help ease this transition and ensure consistency across the product.
How you can help
- Design new features from initial discovery phase right through to shipping, while shaping a new interaction and visual design system, to be applied to both new and existing features.
- Challenge all assumptions. While Phorest has a wealth of industry experience to tap into, with fresh eyes you will still strive to validate ideas with our customers, many of which are right on our doorstep, or accessible through our very active UserVoice community.
- Be a voice within the company championing design, and how it can benefit every area of the business.
What skills you need
- At least 3 years experience in a product, or similar, design role
- A strong understanding of information architecture, user experience, interaction and visual design.
- A well-defined visual design taste and a strong eye for detail
- A love for distilling complex problems into simple experiences.
- The ability communicate your work and rationale clearly.
- Resilience in the face of adversity. Marketing will absolutely slack you asking for a quick favour – it starts with just a small vector logo, but next thing you know you’re designing double page magazine spreads under a tight deadline. Be strong.
- Experience designing for multiple platforms and screen sizes, using Sketch paired with InVision or, whatever software you are comfortable with.
- The ability to work closely with Product Managers and Developers to ensure it’s the shipped software you’ll be putting in your portfolio, not angled mockups.
- A decent grasp of web technologies and their abilities – you don’t need to code unless you’re into that sort of thing – but understanding the limitations is advantageous.
- The ability to turn a blind eye to our existing presentation templates and not let them distract you. We have product work to do first. But we’ll get to them eventually.
- Experience with motion or illustration is not required but would be beneficial.
How to apply
- Please send us a quick note with why you’re interested in joining, your CV, and some work samples or links, to email@example.com with “Product Designer” in the subject line.