About Phorest Salon Software
Phorest Salon Software powers over 3,800 hair and beauty salons globally. Our aim is to capture 25% of the market globally – that’s one million salons and a billion dollar company.
We’re a small product team, so you will have full autonomy, ownership, and control over your area of the product platform. This role is tailor-made for someone who likes independence and enjoys the challenge of being measured by the impact of their work.
Within Phorest, we have a development set up where a product owner will be paired with a designer and a dedicated scrum team of developers to focus on one specific area, opportunity or problem. The product owner will be given the freedom to work with the team to iterate and test their way to the ideal solution.
We also have a very diverse product platform including a desktop application and marketing suite that sends nearly 7 million messages a month, mobile apps, online booking portals and nearly 2,000 branded apps in the app store for our clients.
Our current challenges
- Redevelopment of our core product from Java-based Swing to HTML with a more modern design and technology (we’ll be using Ember), while ensuring we continue to improve existing features and release new ones too.
- As part of the redevelopment of the product, we need to re-design onboarding to reduce setup friction for both the product and any additional features users adopt.
- Discovering and continuing to develop high performing features that give us a leadership position in the market.
How you can help
- Using all of the information available to you (across data, customer feedback, user testing, support and internal teams) you will discover the features we need to build to move the company forward.
- Use the data we have available to continually measure and improve features we ship, as opposed to a fire and forget approach. We ship, learn and iterate.
- Being comfortable talking to our customers, we expect you to become the voice of the customer by getting out of the office and having real conversations, feedback and testing with real customers on all of your ideas before you build them.
- Working with business, design and technical people to deliver the best product possible.
What skills you need
- At least 3 years experience in a product owner role
- Experience working in an agile software development setup is a must
- Experience working with development management tools such as Jira or similar
- Focused on making lives easier for our users, instead of making something easier to build
- A decent grasp of software technologies and their abilities – you don’t need to code, unless you’re into that sort of thing – but understanding how things work is advantageous.
- Experience working with usage data and ideally some mild SQL skills are an advantage
- Experience with and being comfortable speaking to users, this role will require that you interact with users as much as you can.
- The ability to say no is a must, taking all feedback on board and being clear on what we can’t do so we can focus on what we need to do
- Ability to work with diva designers is a plus
- Comfortable communicating a product vision internally and externally as we’re a tightly aligned organisation, regular talks to the company in our Friday canteen sessions will be a must to keep everyone up to date on your work
How to apply
Please send us a quick note with why you’re interested in joining, your CV, and some work samples or links, to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Product Owner” in the subject line.