Crowded, intimidating and loud buzzing venues with loads of groups. For many people, that’s what trade shows and conferences can feel like. That’s how they often feel to me. And while I’ve gotten better at navigating them, sometimes you can still catch me clutching my coffee or water, sitting in some corner revisiting my notes or awkwardly looking at the agenda to figure out where to go next. Over time, I’ve learned a thing or two from fellow extroverted colleagues: it doesn’t have to be that way. If you’ve got a few salon industry events to attend soon, try these insider tips to get the most of your experience.
Listen to the audio version of this blog, and subscribe to the Phorest Blog Podcast here:
Breaking The Ice At Salon Industry Events
Conversation starters can help take the stress out of being alone at a trade show, a conference, a workshop or whatever other types of events you’re attending. And no matter what happens remember the following two things:
- You have at least a few things in common with everyone present (the event you’re attending, the venue, the food, the drinks).
- You don’t always have to do something. Something, putting less pressure on yourself can lead to increased positive outcomes.
5 Classic Conversation Starters
- Hi, I’m (x). I’m a beauty therapist, I work at (x) in Dublin. What’s your name?’
- How did you hear about this event?
- This is such a lovely venue. Have you been here before?
- I’ve never been to (the event name) before. Any tips on what to expect from the day?
- How did you get into the industry?
5 Ways To Introduce Yourself To A Group
- How do you all know each other?
- Hey, aren’t you friends with so-and-so?
- I overheard you work in (x city). I’m also from that area, mind if I join you?
- Hey! My name is (x) from (insert business name). I’m here alone today, mind if join you for a little bit?
- Hi! I’m (x); are you all going to (insert talk or panel event from the agenda) later? Mind if I join?
5 Approaches For Introverts
- These networking events can make me feel a little overwhelmed. Do you want to go for coffee in over there, where it’s a little quieter?
- I feel like I’m going to have a proper education hangover after today! Is there something that’s resonating with you more so far?
- What projects are you working on at the moment?
- Hi, have you been to (xyz) yet? I’m heading over there now and would love some company!
- Did you catch (x) earlier? I missed it; what was it on?
All in all, one thing you should do before heading to any kind of networking event is to come up with a mental resume of the professional you so that you feel ready to share it with other attendees. Oh, and don’t forget to bring business cards – you never know who you can meet and want to keep in touch with!
The Salon Owners Summit Roadshow Is Coming To Chicago!
Known as one of the most prestigious and talked about events in the hair & beauty industry in Europe, the Salon Owners Summit is leaving its home in Dublin to bring salon owners and their teams together for a first Roadshow stop in Chicago! Expect a full day packed with talks from the greatest minds in the world in business, customer service, marketing and management. Read the full announcement.
- Date: Monday, April 15, 2019 (9:30 AM – 8:30 PM CDT)
- Time: Conference 9.30am – 5.30pm, Drinks & Networking Reception 5.30pm – 8.30pm
- Location: The Dalcy, 302 N. Green Street Third Floor, Chicago, IL 60607, United States
- For speaker bios and more information on the Chicago Salon Owners Summit Roadshow, visit the official website here!
You do not need to be a Phorest Salon Software client; the experience is open to all!
Thanks for reading! #LetsGrow