Apologies if I’m biased by the weather, but given it has officially reached real feel 35 degrees Celsius from where I’m writing these words, and that over in Ireland & the UK, the temperature has risen over the 20 degrees… I think it’s safe to say that summer has arrived! Plus, the non-official summer kickoff in the United States is Memorial Day, which ironically, was just a few days ago. Somebody bring the sunscreen, vamos a la playa! In the meantime – and all jokes aside – your June salon marketing ideas and graphics have arrived, and you’re going to love them.
June Salon Marketing Ideas & Graphics
National Safety Month
Time and time again, as the first sunny weekends of the year, so do the pictures of red-burnt skin. It’s heartbreaking.
Many of your clients are about to go on holidays, and if there’s an industry that can take advantage of this, it’s the hair and beauty industry. Promote your salon or spa through safety during the month. If you’re running a spa and have sun-protection products, perhaps put together a month-long campaign raising awareness around the dangers of leaving your skin exposed to the sun, unprotected. You could do this through a written or video content series.
- A video per week on Instagram or Facebook
- A series of emails with tips, product recommendations, real-life horror stories, etc.
- You could also create a “Summer Must-Haves” list of products (that you stock, of course!)
- Handout sunscreen samples
If, alternatively, you run a salon, then perhaps talk about how the effects of the sun one’s hair (generally speaking), but also on colour treatments. Educate potential, new and existing clients on how they can prevent thinning hair and sun damage!
And of course, don’t forget to encourage last-minute going-on-a-holiday appointments – hello, online bookings!
P.S. If you are a Phorest Salon Software client, your June Newsletter template can now be found in the marketing section of your system!
National Business Etiquette Week | June 3–9
Now that the GDPR is officially in effect in the EU, it’s time to review what’s left to be done in your salon or spa. Why not jump on the opportunity that is National Business Etiquette Week? Tune into this podcast interview with Niahm Greaney, salon business advisor at Phorest Salon Software, to learn what your next steps should be.
For businesses outside the EU, GDPR doesn’t affect you. However, that’s not to say you shouldn’t take the time to review your salon’s policies and procedures every now and then. Do you need to change something in your customer’s journey in your salon experience? Do you have an SOP Manual? Are any sections due to be updated? What about your employee handbook; is that all up to date too?
Now, in fairness, these suggestions aren’t exactly what you want to share with clients. So, as you do all these changes internally, refresh your clients and social media followers’ minds and tell them about:
- your mission statement and your values
- your opening hours and/or if you offer late availability
- inform them about your loyalty program and how it works
- your online bookings or salon app
You could even take the time to re-introduce your staff to the world! For tips and tricks on writing compelling employee bios, click here.
National Lemonade Days | June 3–11
We all need a bit of fun in this life (and refreshments when it’s so warm out)! Why not offer some handmade lemonade to clients and insist on the importance of keeping hydrated in the summer on social media? You could talk about the benefits of it for their skin, etc. Also, if you don’t have the time or energy to make the lemonade, why not partner up with a local juice bar for the week and refer clients to each other’s businesses?
Katrina Sutherland, from Katrina Sutherland Country Spa, explains how she did this with a local hotel on this Phorest FM episode (listen in full here).
Men’s Health Week | June 11–17
Men’s Health Week could be the perfect lead up to Father’s Day for your salon or spa. A few ideas of things you could do marketing-wise:
- Run an Instagram contest for an add-on service and require participants to tag a dad/partner/brother/friend they’d like to introduce to said treatment
- Feature a product/service of the week with men testimonials about the product you choose
- Offer an incentive (product sample?) for clients who “check in” on social media
- Post daily short informative videos on Instagram or Facebook about men’s beauty & hair myths (and bust them)
Before You Go: Summer Marketing Checklist
Summer is, after the post-Christmas break, the best time of the year to review the objectives you had set yourself for the year. Enough time has passed that you should be able to see proper results and trends. Below you’ll find a list of 10 things you should review and/or consider doing at this time of the year:
- Review your KPIs and quarterly objectives; were they above or under target? What happened? Read more here.
- Review your tasks; is there anything you can delegate to staff members on your team? Read more here.
- Join salon/spa community groups such as the #30Days2Grow or the Knowing Your Numbers Facebook Groups.
- If you don’t have one already, introduce a loyalty program. Read more here.
- As per suggested by visual merchandiser Rowena Doyle, partner with other local businesses and bring some attention to your salon/spa. Read more here.
- Refresh your salon merchandising display. Read more here.
- Review and if necessary, update your social media “about” sections.
- Have a look at your online reputation; has it changed since January? What can you do to get more reviews? Read more here.
- Collaborate with local influencers. Read more here.
- If Summer tends to be slower for you, perhaps give your website a refresh?
Tune In For Phorest FM’s May Monthly Round-Up Episode!
After a short podcasting month due to an Irish bank holiday, Killian and Zoe dedicate this week’s episode to a round-up of everything that’s happened on the Phorest Blog and Phorest FM in May. From the most popular blogs to snippets from previous Phorest FM episodes and announcements in regards to upcoming Phorest Academy Webinars, you’re sure to get all the marketing advice you might have missed.
Related | May’s Must-Read & Listen Material
Thanks for reading! #LetsGrow