Every once and awhile, we come across a fantastic article in a different industry and think, “Wow, our readers would love this!” The most recent instance of this reflection has led us to compile 12 statements we believe separate a successful salon owner from an average one.
Could you guess a good percentage of our compilation?
Listen to the audio version of this blog, and subscribe to the Phorest Blog Podcast here:
Phrases you’ll only hear an average salon owner say…
- Cheap salons are ruining the industry.
- I’m not in it for the money. I’m in it for the art.
- I’m going to spend money to buy all the latest trends in products & equipment.
- It’s impossible to make money in this profession. Clients simply don’t see my worth.
- I hate selling.
- My clients come here to see me, not my team.
- Clients would never spend that amount of money.
- I need to discount in order to get clients in.
- I am up until the morning working on my business, just to break even.
- You can’t make the same amount of money in the salon industry that you could 15 years ago.
- I can’t afford to spend a day outside the salon, it won’t run by itself!
- There’s no way I can see myself being able to retire anytime soon.
What a successful salon owner says instead…
- As a business, my salon provides so much more than a service that cheaper salons don’t affect me.
- I know my worth, my creativity, knowledge and expertise deserve to be rewarded financially.
- I spend my money on equipment and marketing, but am very conscious of the ROI.
- I know what makes me different from my competitors, and that gives me a competitive edge. I also brand myself in a very calculated way, which helps me build my reputation within the industry.
- Retail is an extension of the services we offer clients.
- I surround myself with positive and successful individuals. That’s why I only hire people who are better than me. I wouldn’t be able to run my business without my team.
- My work immediately communicates professionalism and my clients understand what my services are worth.
- I never let any client leave my salon unless they’ve received exceptional care. My clients understand and respect me more because of it.
- Because I make an amazing living, I can afford to enjoy my love of hair and beauty outside of work and go on holidays all over the world.
- I assume 100% responsibility for my failures, and celebrate my team’s success.
- I hire top specialists in my area to assist me in the salon so I can spend time planning for expansion and growth.
- I want to make as much as I can from my profession to provide an amazing life for myself and my family. I’d also like to be able to make a difference by donating to worthy causes. The world is a better place because of my success and the experience I provide to my clients.
Pretty huge difference, right?
Without getting all philosophical, your perspective as a salon owner on what you and your business are worth has a direct impact on how your clientele perceives you — as in, if they recommend you to their friends, etc. As a leader, don’t underestimate the image you project onto others.
Download this staff room reminder, print it off and stick it up on the wall.
Maybe even call a short meeting to run the team through the benefits of having a constant positive mental attitude!
Got feedback? Let us know either in the comments below or tweet us @ThePhorestWord! (Pssst! We’re on Instagram too!)
Thanks for reading! #LetsGrow